Monday, September 17, 2012

The City of Canals

One of the ways I put the world into perspective is through travel. <-- I feel like I just started an essay in the sixth grade about my summer. Please, trust me. This is not what I am doing. I'm going to tell you a story about a girl walking down the streets of Venice.

For years, she's seen pictures of this city. Usually represented by a gondola and a grand canal, this city is one of those her heart has been dying to see. As her feet touched the ground of St. Mark's square, she still could not believe her eyes. The city was old, romantic, and beautiful in a way that her mind could not describe. The architecture, the water, the streets, everything felt like she'd been transported to a different time. A time where one could put on a mask and waltz the night away.

The cobblestone felt hard under her feet as she began her exploration of one of the most beautiful cities in history. Street vendors, sidewalk cafes, and hundreds of people are all experiencing the same place at the same time with her. She wondered if the emotions she felt were by the others walking the streets beside her. She imagined living in Venice, a child, during a time people danced in beautiful elaborate gowns. The greatest love affairs would begin and end in these streets. 

A taste for Gelato, a mask, and a head full of new aspirations and ideas are the souvenirs I brought back from the legendary city of Venice. In the time after the trip was over, I would write stories set in that beautiful place. Another read of the remarkable story, Othello took me to those streets again. I started to think about what it felt like to visit that new place, and the feelings started to come back. My heart began to pound as I fell in love with the beauty of the queen of the adriatic all over again.

There is a fact that most people do not know. I feel my experiences in a strong way. I put my heart into understanding the sights that I've seen. It isn't about just having been to Italy, or any of the places I've been. It's about the feelings that came of my time there. It is about being a part of history, years later. If not for the events that occurred in those places, maybe the world would have had a fate unlike the one it leads now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment